Graduate Program in Environmental Science and Technology
Areas of the Teaching Staff
- Ecotoxicology; use of bioassays for monitoring pollutants after treatment by advanced processes.
- Agroindustrial waste.
- Treatment of industrial effluents.
- Environmental management: Solid waste management.
- Evaluation and sustainability indicators.
- Sanitary sewer treatment.
- Environmental microbiology.
- Environmental biotechnology.
- Evaluation of river basins.
- Applied Liquid Chromatography: Development of chromatographic methods for analysis in environmental matrices.
- Water supply treatment.
- Sewage, industrial effluent, and water supply treatment by advanced processes: organic micropollutants monitoring by chromatography.
- Spatial analysis of environmental data: Use of geostatistics methodology in data processing.
- Assessment, structure, and management of aquatic environments: Community Ecology (Limnology).
- Ecotoxicology: assessment of the toxicity of emerging contaminants and biomonitoring
Environmental Technologies and Processes
The Graduate Program in Environmental Science and Technology (PPGCTA) develops work related to the treatment and/or biotransformation of waste, biological indicators of environmental quality, environmental monitoring, and management. The faculty is composed of professionals from different fields of chemistry, biology, pharmacy, and engineering. The PPGCTA aims to produce knowledge focused on environmental issues in different sectors of society; qualify professionals to solve existing environmental problems by developing scientific and technological activities in the field of Environmental Science and Technology; promote the interaction of academia with the industrial sector and the community, favoring the need for innovative and environmentally friendly projects; develop projects applied to sustainable development, environmental control, and waste minimization; enable UTFPR graduates and the outside community to access multidisciplinary training close to their region. The PPGCTA seeks to disseminate its work through social activities and its results through the publication of papers in periodicals, as well as encouraging the generation of patents.
Line of Research: Control and Environmental Monitoring
This line of research focuses on understanding the environmental dynamics regarding human interventions using periodic indicators, statistical treatment, spatial data analysis, and critical result analysis. Among the main environmental aspects monitored are the structure and functioning of aquatic and terrestrial environments, the effects of residues and contaminants on organisms and the environment, and the instruments used by man in environmental systems management.
Line of Research: Chemical And Biotechnological Processes Of Waste Treatment And Recovery
This line of research investigates and develops technological and biotechnological processes for solving environmental problems including studies related to the characterization and treatment of residues, bioprocesses, and biosorption.
Line of Research: Supply Water And Sewage Treatment
The research line in water treatment for supply water and wastewater aims to apply different treatment processes, conventional and advanced, aiming at the removal of micro and macro contaminants and emerging contaminants in waters intended for human consumption, as well as the treatment of domestic and industrial effluents, in order to guarantee the best quality of the treated effluent and the maintenance of the environmental balance.